Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Great Gatsby



Finally was able to watch this marvelous film.
That's right -- I LOVED IT.

I was super skeptical since I absolutely hated the Romeo + Juliet (1996) film and I was dreading that this classic book would also be ruined with the touch of the modern devil's trident.

Fortunately the film was completed with superb taste, class and just enough flair.

The way the eye was drawn in through the movement of the camera (Moulin Rouge! anyone?) and the sparkle and glitz of it all WITHOUT losing the classiness of the story.

And the music.
Same idea but backwards.  Taking modern songs and twisting them to fit the 1920s flappers era.
Bought the Deluxe Edition as soon as I got home.

I am just so so happy!
I must say though, I don't know if I will like
watching it on my computer screen.. I think the
large theater allowed the film to come alive and
I don't know if that can translate on a smaller screen.

But I must say, Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan were phenomenal along with Elizabeth Debicki (who is she!?), Isla Fisher (small role but lasting impression), Tobey Maguire (will always be spiderman to me...), and Joel Edgerton.

No comments:

Post a Comment